Other highlights for the first quarter of 2013 included 18 percent growth in passenger numbers (rising from 2.3 million to a record 2.8 million), while the average seat factor was 80.5 per cent, four percentage points higher than the previous year (despite a 12 per cent increase in capacity). The seat factor is above IATA’s current global average of 77.1 per cent.
“Our Q1 2013 results have again outstripped global trends, with our strongest ever first quarter results for passenger revenue,” said James Hogan, President and Chief Executive Officer of Etihad Airways.
“This performance demonstrates that Etihad Airways’ strategy of organic growth, wide-ranging partnerships, and strategic equity investments is delivering for us and our partners."
In February 2013, Etihad Airways announced a US$42 million profit for 2012 with revenues of US$4.8 billion and passenger numbers breaking 10 million for the first time.
SEVEN MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS FOR ETIHAD AIRWAYS DURING Q1 2013
- ‘Big Switch’ to new SabreSonic passenger sales system, website, and check-in system
- Launch of daily flights to Washington D.C., on 31 March 2013 and the opening of the new premium lounge at Dulles International Airport
- Announcement of daily flights to Amsterdam from 15 May 2013
- Opening of US$8 million first class and business class lounge in Paris
- Launch of its critically acclaimed multi-million dollar television commercial campaign, “The World Is Our Home, You Are Our Guest”
- Graduation of more than 200 staff from the airline’s Emiratisation program
- Appointment of 34 Emirati employees to key roles across the airline’s global network.