Monday, June 10, 2013

PHOTO: Brand new Swiss Airlines Airbus A330 damaged in Montreal

Damage to the right wing tip of Swiss Airlines Airbus A330 aircraft
I’m feeling bad for the Swiss Airlines pilot on flight LX087 last Saturday. What should have been a routine service from Montreal’s Pierre-Elliott-Trudeau International Airport turned into a mini disaster.

The pilot was transporting a little over 200 passengers to Zurich onboard a brand new Airbus A330-300, only a couple of months old.

However, while heading to the runway, the aircraft hit one of the airport’s boarding bridges. A number of photos have appeared online showing damage to the A330’s right wing tip.

ALSO READ: Shocking photo -What object caused this much damage to Air China's Boeing 757?

A closer look at damage to Swiss Airlines new Airbus A330I’ve included a couple of photos on this page, which were posted by Imgur user BrunoBelanger. As a result of the wing being torn and twisted, the flight had to be cancelled, with passengers offered overnight hotel accommodation.

Not a great start for the young aircraft (HB-JHN). What are your thoughts on the story? How does such an accident happen? Leave your comments below and don’t forget to like my Facebook page for the latest aviation photos, videos and news stories. Click here to visit.

MORE PHOTOS: Student designs the livery of Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-800… check out the results!

36 comments :

1. Oh noooo... pilot error!

Replies
    1. Mohammed A. GariJune 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Initially, I would not agree with the "Pilot Error" remark. Seeing 4 images of this event does not help much. It seems that the A/C was on the TW center line and the bridge was retracted safety away from the taxi way.

Question: did the wing tip touch the bridge during push-back or taxiing out? where was the marshaller.

2. Coming out of the horse shoe at Dorval airport, there's 3 lanes. East, center and west. Heavies always use center or west (away from bridge or PTV). So, ATC error calling the wrong lane or pilot error not taxiing on the correct lane.

Replies
    1. Apron control is handled by Aeroports de Montreal, not NavCanada ATC.

Once the aircraft is clear of the apron, then the plane is handed over to ATC for the taxi to the active runway and the takeoff.

AK

3. My buddy was on that flight.

4. Ouuuuuuuch!

5. Mohammed A. GariJune 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Strange event; I saw 4 images of it and seemed like the A/C was on the taxi way center line and the bridge retracted. There is a lot to be learnt from this event.

ReplyDelete
  6. Is it the pilot or the pushback crew at fault?

Replies
    1. If the pilot is taxing then its their responsibility. When under tow then its the tow crew's responsibility. You need to have good surrounding awareness.

7. If the aircraft was off the centerline to docking, the pilot is in some manure. If the aircraft followed the yellow lines, the bridge was out of position and the airport authority is to blame.

Replies
    1. Here's another view: i.imgur.com/1frBTw8.jpg

2. Yes, your right Carlos.Does the ground crew work for the airport authority? Is the gate area clearly defined to handle this particular aircraft.IE:Paint markings on the ground for wingtip clearances or is this not a requirement for the airport authority. Makes me wonder if anyone did a gate pre-arrival check.

8. I saw the accident! I also heard it! I was spotting
    I saw a bunch of emergancey crews driving quite fast to the plane! I didn't know what happened but I did see the accident unfold. Quite scary!

ReplyDelete
  9. Pilot´s failure of the copilot who is responsible for the wingtip-clearance on the right hand side.
    I do not want to be in his shoes...

ReplyDelete
  10. That's been a big issue at some airports. Some of the new "heavies," have a wingspan wider than the airport was ever designed to handle.

And today's economic flux, keeps airport upgrades to a minimum.

11. Jackson ChibwezoJune 12, 2013 at 6:35 AM

It hit on the co-pilots side. Did he give the clear call? Operating procedures, ie Software.

ReplyDelete
  12. What is SMS report on the incident? SMS reports of actual occurrence safe guarding the identity be made available for this community benefit!

Replies
    1. Rajiv is right SMS REPORT of the accident definitely be of great benefit.

2. Jackson ChibwezoJune 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM

What does SMS stand for..somebody please help.

3. Henning HeinemannJune 14, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Safety Management System.

13. Ohhhh. Sad, I love Swiss my Ex company........I use to handle A330 IN RUH

ReplyDelete
  14. Excuse me, can someone please move that jetway so nobody else runs into it.

ReplyDelete
  15. :( Ouch! Oh no, I love Swiss International Air Lines. We are one of their top sellers here in Aus.

ReplyDelete
  16. It's always sad to see a bird with a broken wing!

ReplyDelete
  17. that's not a bridge, it is a parked PTV and also I saw it at the air transat hangar

18. Steve ChamberlainJune 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Will probably get blamed on an AME..

19. Hendrik PrasetyaJune 16, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I think this is the pushback crew's fault or maybe the pilot excessive power when taxing to the parking stand... this is clearly a human error.

ReplyDelete
  20. 'Yeah, I dunno boss, it was like that when i got here.....'

21. Markus IndermaurJune 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM

One of the "ooops" moments....

ReplyDelete
  22. Very unfortunate Captain, doesn't get enough guidance from the Ground Crew?

23. William (Bill) StromireJune 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Unfortunate as this accident is, they weren't the first. Still more unfortunate another crew will find another way of doing this in the future. They will not be the last!

ReplyDelete
  24. Does someone know if the A/C is still grounded for repairs?

ReplyDelete
  25. This Pilot is very famous to be arrogant, and it's actually a dangerous cockpit member of Swiss, his opinion only is the right one, very dangerous, and well known by the Swiss crews, people are afraid about him !
    Glad that nothing happened in the Air !!

ReplyDelete
  26. I was on that flight! And it happened near my side. I wasn't worried a bit... Everything under control, but waited in line to get new tickets 5 hours!!!Swiss Air gave us hotel room.. ,and food vochers. Did meet some fabulous people while waiting..an experience !

ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...